Prof. Rachid GUERRAOUI
I held the Chair of Computer Science of Collège de France and was
affiliated with the Research Center of Ecole des Mines
Paris, the Commissariat a l'Energie Atomique in Saclay,
Hewlett-Packard Labs in Palo Alto and the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology.
research is devoted to concurrent and distributed computing, from
Full list of papers:
93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06 , 07, 08, 09, 10,
entry in the DBLP
bibliography server is fairly up-to-date.
teach Distributed Algorithms (Message
passing) as well as Concurrent Algorithms (Shared
I co-initiated with M. El Mhamdi Wandida (wandida.com) an education project to build a library of scientific e-synopsises as well as Zettabytes, with Le Nguyen Hoang, an education project to make computer science accessible to the masses.
ACM Fellow and Associate Editor of JACM.
I also chaired the PCs of
- In Search for Lost Universality POPL 2021 (video)
- The Rise and Fall of Distributed Computing PODC 2020 (video)
- Demystifying Bitcoin EPFL, OPODIS and UM6P 2019 - INRIA 2020
- Algorithmes : à la recherche de l'universalité perdue Lecon inaugurale au College de France 2018
- The Atomic Commit Problem, Oaxaca (Mexico) 2016 (video)
- Generalizing Universality (Imperial College 2018, IST Vienna 2015, ABB Zurich 2014, MPI Saarbruken 2014, Cyprus 2013, Algotel 2013, INRIA-Sofia 2013)
- Speculating Seriously
- Tutorial on transactional
memory (CAV 2009, Uppsala 2010)
- What is "hard" in distributed computing?
Brandeis, MIT, Northeastern, Brown, 2006)
- The return of transactions (Europar
07, SRDS 07, ECOOP 08, IBM Watson and NYU in 2008, INRIA in 2009)
- Towards a theory of mobile devices
(Autonomics 2007 and Eurescom 2008)
- Shameless statements about
replication (30th years of replication workshop
in Monteverita, 2007)
- Indulgent algorithms (SSS
Best paper awards
I was awarded a senior ERC (+ a PoC) and a google focused award (with AM Kermarrec), so I am looking
for PhD students (these days in the areas of distributed ML, cryptocurrencies and RDMA).
activities of DCL
members, as well as some non-research stuff
- Doctoral program
our school (to which every student has to be admitted before joinning
my group as a PhD student)
Dan Alistarh (IST Vienna), S. Baehni
R. Boichat (McKinsey), T. David (IBM), G. Chatzopoulos (Mc Kinzey), T. David (IBM) ,A. Dragojevic (Microsoft), P. Dutta (IBM), A. Doudou (Vaudoise),
P. Eugster (Purdue), L. Handurukande (Eriksson), D. Kozhaya (ABB), P. Kouznetsov (Paris Tech), R. Levy
(IBM), G. Losa (UCLA), M. Monod (Twist Lab), R. Patra (Oracle), B. Pochon (ELCA), J. Spring (SICPA), M. Taziki (Swisscom), V. Trigonakis (Oracle), M. Vukolic (IBM), M. Kapalka
(Swissquotes), N. Knezevic (IBM), J. Wang (Google).
DCL (Station 14), I&C, EPFL CH 1015 Lausanne,
Switzerland - Office INR 310 -
Tel +41 21 693 5272 - Fax +41 21 693 75 70
He told her: "I could have been someone''
She answered: "So could anyone"